People entering India will need a permit to secure their entry. Though for a few nationals, India does allow a visa-free entry (Bhutan, Nepal, Maldives), and a few others can obtain a visa on arrival [Japan, South Korea, and UAE(If you have previously possess an Indian e-visa or visa on arrival)], most of the other nationals will require a visa for India.
Thanks to the recent updates, the visa to India can now be obtained as an India e-visa. However, a few nationalities may still have to apply for an ordinary stamped visa.
How to apply for Indian visa?
Since the permit can be obtained as an e-visa and as a sticker visa, the method of application differs.
The process for the India e-visa is as follows –
- Check if you are an eligible candidate for the electronic permit.
- Visit the e-visa portal at the website of the Indian Bureau of Immigration.
- Fill in the India visa application form with all your details.
- Upload scanned copies of your photo and passport pages.
- Pay the visa fees online and submit the application.
The process for the sticker visa can be mentioned as follows –
- Check if you need to apply for this. If you are eligible for e-visa, proceed with that instead.
- Visit the website of the respective Indian mission or Indian visa application centre (VAC) in your region.
- Fill in an application form with all the details.
- Book an appointment at the Indian mission or VAC.
- Submit your application, documents, and the fees at the centre.
India Visa Types
Based on the main purpose of the visit, the most issued Indian visas can be categorized as the following.
- Indian Tourist Visa – The tourist category is issued to people entering the country to take part in tourism activities such as vacation, visiting family/friends, etc.
- Indian Business Visa – This type is granted for people who are travelling to India to take part in business-related activities.
- Indian Conference Visa – This is issued to individuals whose purpose of the visit is to attend a conference/seminar/workshop.
- Indian Medical Visa – This permit allows people to enter India to make use of the excellent medical treatment in the country (including the Indian system of medicine).
- Indian Medical Attendant Visa – The attendant category is issued for people who are accompanying a medical visa holder.
India Visa Documents
As per the India visa requirements, the following are the general documents you will need to possess in order to apply for the visa. Based on the exact reason behind your visit, you will require to submit additional documents.
- A passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of travel.
- Photo as per the specifications.
- Proof of purpose of visit according to the type.